Monday, December 29, 2008

Little Joy;Self-Titled

The Strokes drummer Fabrizio Moretti has the perfect recipe for one of this year’s most enjoyable albums. Rocker Moretti teamed up with Rodrigo Amarante of Brazillian indie-rock band Los Hermanos and instrumentalist Binki Shapiro. Little Joy’s self titled album is sweetly innocent and perfect. There is an island-esqu, 50’s style sound that is consistently evident in every song and each track blending into the next with ease. Brand New Start is a sweet up tempo love song that embraces and encourages a second chance at love “All this time they had me thinking/Love's a boat that's slowly sinking/; Ain't no lover like the one I've got/She and I have a brand new start”. No Ones Better Sake is sunny and laced with background organs that provide a fuller element; you’d never think this would be a break up song; ‘So is this how it ends/Oh with a whimper instead of bang/I can't defend you truly/When I worry about smoke instead of putting out the fire’. In How To Hang A Warhol, Moretti sings stories of telling mom and dad dreams of being an artist or orchestra conductor and when that all fails he’ll still be singing and playing in a band; “But as long as I can't get into Carnagie Hall/I'll keep writing them songs/That are all mine/Very simple and dumb/Like I've always have done. Little Joy delivers something unique that can be listened to anywhere at anytime with anyone.

A

No comments: